You had filled the Earth with your nerd-progeny; now what do you do? It isn’t always enough to feed them, clothe them, and occasionally interact with them, you may need to spend time with them, and share in their interests. If you’ve done it right, you will have forged them in your likeness, and their interests will match yours. In that spirit, here are some shows you can share with your nerdlings.
1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987)
What better place to start than the original TMNT? I started my kid when he was 2 and I still have video of him in diapers, singing the theme song. There’s something really special about sharing your childhood, and sharing it with your kids makes it extra special.
2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)
This is not just a great show, it’s a great nerd show. In addition to being a great, well-written iteration of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the show’s creators love to reference all kinds of great things like Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, and all manner of horror movies. On top of it all, they love paying tribute to the Turtles themselves, and their rich history in film, TV, and comics.
3) Transformers Prime
A great, overlooked iteration of the Transformers that aired on Hasbro’s Hub Network (now Discovery Family) from 2010-2012. Dark and serious in tone, the series focused on a small band of Autobots living on Earth trying desperately to protect humankind from the Decepticons and their megalomaniacal leader, Megatron. It lasted only 3 seasons and 1 TV movie, but it, like TMNT, pays tribute to the past, referencing the Transformers’ deep back-catalog.
4) Transformers (G1)
For me, I was too young to watch the Transformers on TV, so when my son suddenly became obsessed with the Transformers, it was great for me to go back and watch the original show and learn about them alongside him. Without Michael Bay being involved, of course.
5) Invader Zim
This is one of my very favorite shows of all time, and watching it with my kids is a real treat. Just like watching the original TMNT is a chance to share my childhood with my kids, sharing one of my favorite shows with my kids can be just as wonderful.
That’s my main list, so here are a few more shows you can share with your kids:
- Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends. My kids love the character Cheese, and my 2-yr-old quotes him randomly.
- Ed, Edd, & Eddy. This one surprised me when my 2-yr-old randomly chose this to watch one night.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars. When my 2-yr-old fell in love with R2-D2, this was the easiest ways or him to watch Star Wars with his tiny attention span.
- Star Wars: Rebels. See above.
- Star Wars: Droids. Found these on YouTube, and while they’re laughable at best, my kids enjoyed them.